Monday, November 20, 2006

Kramer you can keep your fake apology!

I'm sure by now you've heard about how Kramer went on a nice little racist rant after some black audience members heckled him.

I'm so sick and tired of these racist/sexist/homophobic/classist public figures that get caught saying something so horrible, and then issue a public apology. They weren't sorry for saying it, they're sorry for getting caught.

Kramer just went to far, "Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a fucking fork up your ass." "Throw him out he's a nigger?"
How do you say that? And then think an apology will suffice. What is he thinking? I'm just so tired of it.
Then he goes on letterman to apologize and he looks so sincere

I'm going to translate his apology,
"I'm all busted up by the bad press I'm getting, because of my statements, I completely believe everything I said but I just didn't know that it would be broadcasted. I really hope you all will forget what I said, and I'll be a lot more careful next time, and make sure no one has a camera."

What's worst about these apologies is that they never admit to what they said. They say my statements. I want them to say:

When I mentioned X Y and Z that was wrong, because of (insert valid reason here). I am now actively working to reverse my hate and I encourage you all to do the same, because I realize that my statements are a part of a larger societal problem, so while I can never truly make amends for such hateful statements, I will commit to making a difference in my life and others, and I renounce my privilege which made me think that a simple apology will suffice.

Now is this too much to ask for?

update: I just watched the full apology on letterman and he did mention trying to figure out where this rage came from, so I give him half a point. What disturbed me the most, is that he seemed so weird. I didn't get sincere, he spoke of Black people being mad about Katrina, and I was thinking okay.... and what else. what made me mad is that they were looking to give him excuses, well you know you push the envelope. Then he talks about how he's not a racist.... really? because all non racists say things like that, you don't just say things like that all of a sudden. Just admit that you're a racist and are trying to work on that, just be real! AHHHHHH I can't stand this crap!

4 comments:

Darkmind said...

I watched his outburst and realized that while one man on stage was particularly racist, the many, many audience members would not stand for it. I saw them leaving and speaking out against him for what he said. At least it shows an improvement in the way "most" people think. If you can't stand for it, stand against it! It reminds me of an old post I did last February:
http://retiredvillain.blogspot.com/2006/02/phs-died.html
The people who protested in that audience were, in thier own way, heroes. We need as many as we can get...

Journey_Wmn said...

yeah I agree with you darkmind, we need more people like that. We need more people to say that hate will not be tolerated. It reminded me of how this one landscaper wouldn't work for this one couple because they were gay. So when this got out, he lost $500 in business, but gained $40,000 I applaud those who caused him to lose the $500, and am so dissapointed in the others. People need to speak up more.

FEMily! said...

I would have given him so much more credit for his apology if he just admitted that he's racist. Racist comments like that don't come out of nowhere. Those words were chosen. I'm tired of this "I'm not a racist/anti-Semite/kid-toucher; I'm just sick" crap. Do we really want that to be the next Hollywood trend?

Jason Hughes said...

See, I chalked it all up to the fact that he's been out of the lime-light for so long, he needed his Mel moment--a new fifteen minutes for him to be "noticed" again. And while that certainly isn't a reason or an excuse, I basically ignored him and his comments as I didn't see it as even being worth waiting to see what all the hoopla was about on the eleven o'clock news... I still think he's very much a racist, just now out-of-the-closet so-to-speak about it, but I still think it was a well-timed publicity stunt on his or his agents part...

“I remember how being young and black and gay and lonely felt. A lot of it was fine, feeling I had the truth and the light and the key, but a lot of it was purely hell.” ~Audre Lorde