Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Please Stop Niecy Nash!

So a few weeks ago me and my sister got into an argument over Niecy Nash. We were watching Clean house and I was so bothered by her, I definitely felt like she was sort of mammyish. She was full of girlfriends, and honey and listen to mama. And I'm just tired of seeing Black women portrayed that way, especially by Black women. I recognize that that's her character and that's how she's making money but damn at what expense? I'm not saying that Black actresses have to all be Claire Huxtable but can we stay away from reinforcing stereotypes. My opinion was reinforced when I saw her on the Wendy Williams show. She seemed fairly cool but I was too through when I found out that she had creative licensce behind her character and particularly her appearance. Which is particularly a problem when it came to her red carpet outfit at the Hollywood premiere. She put on a prosthetic butt which she proudly showed off in a bathing suit. If this isn't reminisent of the Hottentot venus I don't know what is.


What's really horrible are all the comments under this picture. Some of the worst are

picho Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 08:18 PM EST

I only watched the Reno movie because I saw her in a swimsuit in the trailer....I was completely erect whenever she was onscreen!! She has a fine-ass body!!

drools Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:34 PM EST

my dick is so hard i was jacking off on her ass during the movie

mila Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 12:39 AM EST

Hmmmm....they're right black IS better



Like I said I get it, you need to make money, but was it really necessary to do it at the detriment to all Black women? I saw a picture of her and her daughter and it was a very nice and sweet picture, but when her daughter is grown and some ignorant ass comes up to her and says some slick shit about her butt, or some dumb white girl comes up to her and says hey girlfriend. Will Niecy Nash feel at all culpable in perpetuating this image of Black women?

1 comment:

z.bediako said...

I'm saying!
We'll I consider her more of a Sapphire. The Sapphire Caricature portrays Black women as rude, loud, malicious, stubborn, and overbearing. The Mammy is more protective of Whites, complacent, and happy. Although, I will say that I have seen Niecy play some Mammy roles as well.

I have had this conversation a few times with friends. The conversation about this Mammy/Sapphire persona that keeps resurfacing. Honestly, we must admit, YES there is a large population of Black women who act like Niecy Nash. She is a true reflection of some of our aunts, sisters, and mothers. But my problem is that this seems to be one of the few representations we get. Why are there more Nashes being represented? than anything else.

I find it disgusting.

Oh & I found your blog under AfterEllen

Peace!

“I remember how being young and black and gay and lonely felt. A lot of it was fine, feeling I had the truth and the light and the key, but a lot of it was purely hell.” ~Audre Lorde