Saturday, July 01, 2006

Your silence will not protect you

"Your Silence will not protect you.........And it is never without fear - of visability, of harsh light of scrutiny and perhaps judgement, of pain, of death. But we have lived through all of those already , in silence, except death.......If I were to be born mute or taken a vow of silence my whole life long for safety , I would still have suffered, and I would still die."



  


I just finished watching North Country and it really made me think of these quotes from Audre Lorde's The transformation of Silence in to language and action


  

1 comment:

Kriti said...

Hi! I'm so glad you've made available this quote from Audre Lorde. She is a guiding light for Ubuntu, a woman of color survivor led coalition to end gendered violence in Durham, North Carolina. Check us out sometime: http://iambecauseweare.wordpress.com/

All the best to you in this "journey called life". Your fierceness and survival is an inspiration.

Kriti

“I remember how being young and black and gay and lonely felt. A lot of it was fine, feeling I had the truth and the light and the key, but a lot of it was purely hell.” ~Audre Lorde