Tuesday, February 20, 2007

PISSED!!!

I'm swamped with work right now so this is going to be short. But in my department there are a few constant debates the main one is on hip hop, the good the bad and the ugly, and the other is Alice Walker's the color purple. I check out of the hip hop one, but am always involved in the Alice Walker one, especially once I hear the arguments. The debate isn't about whether or not The Color Purple was good or not, but rather how Alice Walker made Black men look horrible. The men arguing against her are upset because to them Black men treating Black women so horribly is almost unheard of. To make it even worst a professor today said that he had found no proof that Black men beat their wives and rape their daughters! ............. I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT!!

To make such a bogus statement is ridiculous. I wasn't there when the professor made the statement, but my question is has he talked to any Black women? EVER!

When are people going to open their minds and stop denying the fact that Black men do in fact cause harm to Black women.

3 comments:

Darkmind said...

Do you mean, like, more so than men in general? I think what the professor was trying to say was not that there is no abuse at all, but that there is no evidence that it is the norm. But I guess it depends on your definition of 'abuse'.

Anonymous said...

why is that such a common response to The Color Purple? i also have to wonder if such people have ever read the book or if they just watched the movie. cuz the point made in the book (like in all of alice walker's books) is that change and redemption is possible, if not inevitable. however, the movie cuts the story short and doesn't really show the new man.

Journey_Wmn said...

VK- the movie definitely does cut short the redemptive part of the Mister, but I still think they did a good job of at least feeling bad for him I know I did. Its so frustrating though whenever the movie comes up, all the guys in my dept go on this Black men don't do that rant. Or they'll say that they wanted more interaction with the white world to show why the men did this to the women. It's just frustrating.

Darkmind- I don't think the professor was trying to argue against it being the norm, but more the frequency of it. Which is a problem becuase it happens a lot more than people talk about and its attitudes like his that keep it quiet, so when a woman does make a story about this people act shocked. More dialogue is definitely needed without men getting defensive.

“I remember how being young and black and gay and lonely felt. A lot of it was fine, feeling I had the truth and the light and the key, but a lot of it was purely hell.” ~Audre Lorde