Saturday, May 17, 2008

10 million animals

In an attempt to not blog about my recent bout of depression, I'm going to poll all my Queer female readers. What is it with same sex couples and pets? Now I am not a pet person, I'm more a plant person I have 6 plants and they all have names, Audre, Assata 2.0, Angela, Betty, Coretta and Frida. I'm pretty sure you can figure out where the names came from, but I pretty much watch anything with lesbians in it, because that's how I've found community, but all the reality shows where there's a lesbian coouple they always have like 10 million pets.. ok I'm exaggerating but you get the point. So here's my question, do you have pets? If so how many? And why all the damn animals?

Now don't get me wrong I like animals.... just not near me. For real though let me know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My partner and I have 2 cats, which are like our children. ( they sleep in our beds and even use the toilet instead of the litter box).

I think the animals have something to do with our nurturing instincts as women. From what I know women are more likely animal people..so when you get two together you end up with a bunch of pets. Plus pets are the practice run for kids and in those lesbian relationships doomed to fail, it is much easier to break up animals than children.

Journey_Wmn said...

Now see I think 2 cats is acceptable but when you have 4-6 animals there's a problem. Enough is Enough already! I better find a girl who's a plant person because I can't do the pet thing, or at least not the pet that's always around... come to think of it no pets for me, but cats using the toilet is pretty cool.

EvolvingContradiction7 said...

I am planning on getting a cat just cause it is alot easier to take care of than a dog. But i understand what you mean like qq said its their way of loving and nurturing something other than a child. Pets can be annoying at times but they are just like us sometimes you want to be loved and hugged and other times you want to be left alone.

Natasha said...

This is an interesting conversation in so many ways. At first, I too could not understand why most gay couples that i knew had several pets. One of my best friends has had three cats and a dog at the same time.

But... back in January, my mother began to neglect our family dogs (a toy poodle and a miniature poodle name Minnie and Honey). That's when I decided that we'd take them. At first, my girl was like "no. I don't want dogs, our house will smell like them..." But after a few days, they had won us both over. Now, I'm so depressed when they are not in my care, and I call whoever has them (usually my mom or siblings) to check on them.

PS --QQ, do your cats really use the toilet?

“I remember how being young and black and gay and lonely felt. A lot of it was fine, feeling I had the truth and the light and the key, but a lot of it was purely hell.” ~Audre Lorde