Sunday, April 19, 2009

Heathen

Its Sunday and I'm home, not going to church just like I haven't gone in the past few months. I didn't even go to church on Easter Sunday. That's the first time in many many years that I haven't even gone to church on Easter and I wonder how did I get to this point. I used to be such a super Christian, I used to be in Church more often than not, Church was my life. Now here I am a few years later and I'm not going to church at all. I miss going to church I really do, but the fact is that church is no longer a place to find peace for me, its just another place on the long list of places that give me anxiety.

I guess that's what happens when you're so deeply entrenched in the Christian community and you see all the homophobia and then you come out. Because no matter what anyone says I was there, I know what people say behind closed doors. I know that I could walk into most churches and I would be greeted graciously, but they'd be praying for my deliverance from homosexuality. Hell, some of my friends right now are praying for me to be delivered. So yeah, I've become a heathen. I'm not afraid to learn and respect other faiths even :gasp: ones with multiple deities. I don't know if I'll ever go back to church, but I want to, only time will tell.

1 comment:

TYR said...

The church is the one place where you'll find more contradictions than a courtroom. I used to attend service religiously but went church lite around my coming out. I have since settled matters around my relationship with God and think of it more as spirituality. I take elements from other faiths and incorporate them into my faith journey. I still attend church but have chosen a community that is queer friendly and affirming. On a lighter note, ever heard the song Church Heathen by Shaggy? Worth a listen as it nails the hypocrisy in church.

“I remember how being young and black and gay and lonely felt. A lot of it was fine, feeling I had the truth and the light and the key, but a lot of it was purely hell.” ~Audre Lorde