Monday, January 21, 2008

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

I was thinking about what to post to commemorate Martin Luther King Jr Day. I feel like I should post something because I'm a Black blogger, and because I also admire Martin Luther King Jr. But, I've come to hate what this holiday has become. Its become a day for people to ignore the true radical message of Dr. King and try to fill the huge void in the American Education system with regards to People of Color. Growing up this holiday always meant the teachers making us look around in our semi diverse classroom and claim that Dr. King's dream has been realized. So instead of writing a post about that I think this picture of George W. Bush talking to a young Black girl about the importance of Dr. King best summarizes my feelings, especially in the girl's face.

“I remember how being young and black and gay and lonely felt. A lot of it was fine, feeling I had the truth and the light and the key, but a lot of it was purely hell.” ~Audre Lorde